The Signs Before The Day Of Judgement

Author: Al-Haafidh Ibn Katheer

Published: Thursday 14th January, 2016

The Descent of Jesus at the End of Time

Abd Allaah ibn 'Amr said,

"The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said, 'The Dajjaal will appear in my Ummah, and will remain for forty - "I cannot say whether he meant forty days, forty months or forty years." - Then Allaah will send Jesus (alayhi-salam), the son of Mary, who will resemble 'Urwah ibn Mas'ood. He will chase the Dajjaal and kill him. Then the people will live for seven years during which there will be no enmity between any two persons. Then Allaah will send a cold wind from the direction of Syria, which will take the soul of everyone who has the slightest speck of good or faith in his heart. Even if one of you were to enter the heart of a mountain, the wind would reach him there and take his soul. Only the most wicked people will be left; they will be as careless as birds, with the characteristics of beasts, and will have no concern for right and wrong. Satan will come to them in the form of man and will say, "Don't you respond?" They will say, "What do you order us to do?" He will order them to worship idols, and in spite of that they will have sustenance in abundance, and lead comfortable lives.

"Then the Trumpet will be blown, and everyone will tilt their heads to hear it. The first one to hear it will be a man busy repairing a trough for his camels. He and everyone else will be struck down. Then Allaah will send (or send down) rain like dew, and the bodies of the people (i.e. the dead) will grow out of it. Then the trumpet will be sounded again, and the people will get up and look around. Then it will be said, "O people, go to your Lord and account for yourselves." It will be said, "Bring out the people of Hell," and it will be asked, "How many are there?" - the answer will come: "Nine hundred and ninety-nine out of every thousand."
"On that day a child will grow old and the shin will be laid bare." [al-Qalam (68):42] " [Muslim] [1]

Abu Hurairah said,

"The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said, 'The son of Mary will come down as a just leader. He will break the cross, and kill the pigs. Peace will prevail and people will use their swords as sickles. Every harmful beast will be made harmless; the sky will send down rain in abundance,and the earth will bring forth its blessings. A child will play with a fox and not come to any harm; a wolf will graze with sheep and a lion with cattle, without harming them.' " [Ahmad] [2]

Abu Hurairah said,

"The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said, 'By Him in Whose hand is my soul, surely the son of Mary will come down among you as a just ruler. He will break the cross, kill the pigs and abolish the Jizyah. Wealth will be in such abundance that no-one will care about it, and a single prostration in prayer will be better than the world and all that is in it.' "

Abu Hurairah said,

'If you wish, recite the Aayah: "And there is none of the People of the Book but must believe in him before his death; and on the Day of Judgement he will be a witness against them..." [an-Nisaa' (4):159] ' [Bukhaaree, Muslim] [3]

Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said,

"The Prophets are like brothers; they have different mothers but their religion is one. I am the closest of all the people to Jesus son of Mary, because there is no other Prophet between him and myself. He will come again, and when you see him, you will recognise him. He is of medium height and his colouring is reddish-white. He will be wearing two garments, and his hair will look wet. He will break the cross, kill the pigs, abolish the Jizyah and call the people to Islaam. During his time, Allaah will end every religion and sect other than Islaam, and will destroy the Dajjaal. Then peace and security will prevail on earth, so that lions will graze with camels, tigers with cattle, and wolves with sheep; children will be able to play with snakes without coming to any harm. Jesus will remain for forty years, then die, and the Muslims will pray for him." [Ahmad] [4]

Ibn Masood reported that the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said,

"On the night of the Israa' (night journey), I met my father Abraham, Moses and Jesus, and they discussed the Hour. The matter was referred first to Abraham, then to Moses, and both said, 'I have no knowledge of it.' Then it was referred to Jesus, who said, 'No-one knows about its timing except Allaah; what my Lord told me was that the Dajjaal will appear, and when he sees me he will begin to melt like lead. Allaah will destroy him when he sees me. The Muslims will fight against the Kaafirs, and even the trees and rocks will say, "O Muslim, there is a Kaafir hiding beneath me - come and kill him!" Allaah will destroy the Kaafirs, and the people will return to their own lands. Then Gog and Magog will appear from all directions, eating and drinking everything they find. The people will complain to me, so I will pray to Allaah and He will destroy them, so that the earth will be filled with their stench. Allaah will send rain which will wash their bodies into the sea. My Lord has told me that when that happens, the Hour will be very close, like a pregnant woman whose time is due, but her family do not know exactly when she will deliver.' " [Ahmad, Ibn Maajah] [5]

Footnotes

[1] Muslim, Kitaab al-Fitan wa Ashraat al-Saa'ah, 8/201, 202.

[2] Ahmad, Musnad, 2/482, 483.

Checker's Note: The Tabi'e is Ziyad ibn Sa'd, who is mentioned by Ibn Hibban in ath-Thiqat al-Bukhari and Abu Hatim did not speak for nor against him. Ibn Kathir says the report is good and strong.

[3] Bukhaaree, Kitaab al-Anbiyaa, 204, 205. Muslim, Kitaab al-Imaan, 1/93, 94.

[4] Ahmad, Musnad, 2/406.

Checker's Note: Saheeh as declared by al-Hakim and adh-Dhahabi. Qatadah's hearing it is reported in a later narration in al-Musnad 2/436.

[5] Ahmad, Musnad, 1/375. Similar Hadeeth in Ibn Maajah, Kitaab al-Fitan (Hadeeth 4081), 2/1365, 1366.

Checker's Note: Da`eef, Da`eef al-Jami as-Sagheer: 4709. See Saheeh Muslim translation, no. 6924.

Return to “Beliefs”