The Signs Before The Day Of Judgement

Author: Al-Haafidh Ibn Katheer

Published: Thursday 14th January, 2016

The Appearance of the Dajjaal

First of all, we will quote the reports which mention the liars and "dajjaals" who will precede the coming of the Dajjaal, or Antichrist, who will be the last of them; may Allaah curse them and punish them with Hell-fire.

Jaabir ibn Samurah said,

"I heard the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) say, 'Just before the Hour there will be many liars.' " Jaabir said, "Be on your guard against them." [Muslim] [1]

Jaabir said,

"I heard the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) say, 'Just before the Hour there will be many liars; among them is the one in al-Yamamah, the 'Ansi in San'a', the one in Himyar, and the Dajjaal. This will be the greatest fitnah.' " [Ahmad] [2]

Abu Hurayrah said,

"The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said, 'The Hour will not come ... until nearly 30 "dajjaals" (liars) appear, each one claiming to be a messenger from Allaah.' " [Bukhaaree and Muslim] [3]

Abu Hurayrah said,

"The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said, 'The Hour will not come until 30 "dajjaals" appear, each of them claiming to be a messenger from Allaah, wealth increases, tribulations appear and al-Harj increases.' Someone asked, 'What is al-Harj?' He said, 'Killing, killing.' " [Ahmad] [4]

Abu Hurayrah said,

"The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said, 'The Hour will not come until 30 "dajjaals" appear, all of them lying about Allaah and His Messenger.' " [Abu Daawood] [5]

Abu Hurayrah said,

"The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said, 'Just before the Hour, there will be thirty "dajjaals", each of whom will say, I am a Prophet.' " [Ahmad] [6]

Abu Hurayrah said,

"The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said, 'There will be "dajjaals" and liars among my Ummah. They will tell you something new, which neither you nor your forefathers have heard. Be on your guard against them, and do not let them lead you astray.' " [Ahmad] [7]

Thawbaan said,

"The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said, 'There will be thirty liars among my Ummah. Each one will claim that he is a prophet; but I am the last of the Prophets (Seal of the Prophets), and there will be no Prophet after me.' " [Ahmad] [8]

The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said,

"Verily before the Day of Resurrection there will appear the Dajjaal, and thirty or more liars." [Ahmad] [9]

Ibn 'Umar said,

"I heard the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) say, 'Among my Ummah there will be more than seventy callers, each of whom will be calling people to Hell-fire. If I wished, I could tell you their names and tribes.' " [10]

Abu Bakrah said,

"The people spoke a great deal against Musaylimah before the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said anything about him. Then the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) got up to give a speech and said: '...as for this man about whom you have spoken so much - he is one of the thirty liars who will appear before the Hour, and there is no town which will not feel the fear of the Antichrist.' " [Ahmad] [11]

In another version of this report, the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said,

[hadeeth]"He is one of the thirty liars who will appear before the Dajjaal. There is no town which will escape the fear of the Dajjaal, apart from Madeenah. At that time there will be two angels at every entrance of Madeenah, warding off the fear of the Antichrist."[/i] [12][/quote]

Anas ibn Malik said,

"The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said, 'The time of the Dajjaal will be years of confusion. People will believe a liar, and disbelieve one who tells the truth. People will distrust one who is trustworthy, and trust one who is treacherous; and the Ruwaybidah will have a say.' Someone asked, 'Who are the Ruwaybidah?' He said, 'Those who rebel against Allaah and will have a say in general affairs.' " [Ahmad] [13]

Footnotes

[1] Muslim, Kitaab al-Fitan, 8/189.

[2] Ahmad, Musnad, 3/345.

Checker's Note: Ahmad's isnaad contains Ibn Lahi'ah who reports by way of `an, as does Abu Zubair. Al-Bazzar's isnaad contains `Abdur-Rahman ibn Maghra and Mujaahid ibn Sa`eed. Majma' az-Zawaid of al-Haythamee: 7/335. The status of the hadeeth is unknown as no muhaddith, as far as we know, has given a definite verdict.

[3] See Part 7, where the Hadeeth is quoted in full.

[4] Ahmad, Musnad, 2 - 457.

Checker's Note: Saheeh.

[5] Ahmad, Musnad, 2/450.

Checker's Note: Hasan, Saheeh Abee Daawood: 3643.

[6] Ahmad, Musnad, 2/429.

Checker's Note: Saheeh, Silsilatul Ahadeeth as-Saheehah: 1683.

[7] Ahmad, Musnad, 20/349.

Checker's Note: Da`eef isnaad, but Muslim reports similar wording.

[8] Ahmad, Musnad, 5/46.

Checker's Note: Saheeh. Wrong reference, Ahmad, Musnad, 5/46, should be Ahmad, Musnad, 5/278.

[9] Ahmad, Musnad, 2/95.

Checker's Note: Hasan, Silsilatul Ahadeeth as-Saheehah: 1683, Musnad Imaam Ahmad, checking by Ahmad Shakir: 5694.

[10] Da`eef. Reported by Abu Ya'la. Its isnaad contains Laith ibn Abee Sulaim.

[11] Ahmad, Musnad, 5/41, 46.

Checker's Note: Saheeh, Majma' az-Zawaid of al-Haythamee: 7/335.

[12] Ahmad, Musnad, 5/46.

Checker's Note: Saheeh, Musnad Imaam Ahmad, checking by Ahmad Shakir: 5/41. It is part of no. 10 above, which is not given in full in the book.

[13] Ahmad, Musnad, 3/220.

Checker's Note: Saheeh. Its isnaad is hasan and is further supported, Silsilatul Ahadeeth as-Saheehah: 1887, Kashful Astar bi Zawa'id al-Bazzar of al-Haythamee: 3373.

Return to “Beliefs”