Explaining The Fundamentals Of Faith

Author: Imaam Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen

Source: Dr. Saalih as-Saalih
Translator: Sharh Usool al-Eemaan

Published: Saturday 29th October, 2005

The Ahdaaf (Objectives) Of The Islaamic ‘Aqeedah

Linguistically, Al-Hadaq (pl. Ahdaaf) [1] has several meanings to it, amongst which is “An object of aim at which one shoots or throws”, or “an object of want and of desire; an end which one seeks or intends to attain.”

The Ahdaaf of the Islaamic ‘Aqeedah are the noble objectives and purposes established as a result of adhering to it. They are numerous and diverse. Amongst them are the following:

• First: Establishing the Sincere Intention and Worship to Allaah (Ta’aalaa) Alone, because He is the Creator Who has no partner. Thus, the intention and worship must be only to Him Alone.

• Second: Liberating the mind and thought from the irrational and chaotic loss resulting from the heart having none of this ‘Aqeedah; because in such a state the heart is either completely devoid of every creed, worshipping what is materialistically perceptible only, or lost amidst the misguidance of the (corrupt) beliefs and superstitions.

• Third: Establishing Peace of mind and Sound Thinking so that the self rests without worry and the mind is free from confusion. It is because this ‘Aqeedah links the believer with his Creator and as a result he accepts Him as the Rabb in charge, and the legislating Judge. Consequently, his heart becomes confident about His just estimate, and his chest opens up to Islaam seeking none else besides it.

• Fourth: Safeguarding the intention and actions against deviation in the worship of Allaah (Ta’aalaa) or in dealing with the created, because from the foundations of ‘Aqeedah is the belief in the Messengers which indicates abiding by their way of safety in intention and action.

• Fifth: To Take Matters with Resolution and Seriousness so that the person does not let any opportunity pass except that he invents it in doing righteous deeds, hoping for the reward (from Allaah). Also he see not an evil taking place but that he keeps away from it fearing from the Punishment (of Allaah), for it is from the foundations of ‘Aqeedah to believe in the Resurrection and recompense for the deeds:

“For all there will be degrees (or ranks) according to what they did, and your Rabb is not unaware of what they do.” [Qur’aan 6:132]

The Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhe wa sallam) urged to attain this objective by saying:

“A strong believer is better and is more loveable to Allaah than a weak believer, and there is good in everyone, (but) cherish that which gives you benefit (in the Hereafter) and seek help from Allaah and do not lose heart, and if anything befalls you (calamity, misfortune, trouble) do not say: If I had not done that, it would not have happened so and so, but say: Allaah did what he had ordained to do because ‘if’ is an opening for Satan’s actions.” [2]

• Sixth: Establishing a strong Ummah that will pay any price in order to consolidate its Deen and reinforce its foundation, paying no attention for what may befall upon it in the course of achieving this goal. In this regard Allaah (Ta’aalaa) says:

“Only those are the believers who have believed in Allaah and his Messenger, and afterward doubt not but strive with their wealth and their lives for the Cause of Allaah. Those! They are the truthful.” [Qur’aan 49:15]

• Seventh: Achieving happiness in this life and in the Hereafter by reforming the individuals and the groups and seeking the reward and the means of attaining honour. Allaah says about this:

“Whoever works righteousness, whether male of female, while he (or she) is a true believer (in Tawheed) verily, to him We will give a good life (in this world), and We shall pay them certainly a reward in proportion to the best of what they used to do (i.e. Al-Jannah).” [Qur’aan 16:97]

The above are some of the objectives of the Islaamic ‘Aqeedah. I ask Allaah (Ta’aalaa) to make it achievable for me and for all of the Muslims.

End of the Book

All praise is due to Allaah for His Help on presenting this book of ‘Aqeedah to the English-speaking brothers and sisters of this Ummah. This translation was completed on the day of ‘Arafah, 1416Hj/1996. Any success is from Allaah and any mistake is from me and Shaytaan. May Allaah forgive me, my parents, and the Muslimeen.

The slave of Allaah, Saalih As-Saalih.

Footnotes

[1] See Lane’s Lexicon, V.2, p.2248.

[2] Saheeh Muslim, V.4, Hadeeth no. 6441.

Return to “Beliefs”