The Prophet's Prayer [صلى الله علیه وسلم] Described

Author: Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen al-Albaanee

Published: Friday 22nd January, 2016

The Tasleem (Salutation Of Peace)

Next, "he (صلى الله علیه وسلم) would salute to his right:

Peace and Allaah's Mercy be on you [such that the whiteness of his right cheek was visible,], and on his left:

Peace and Allaah's Mercy be on you [such that the whiteness of his left cheek was visible]." [1]

Sometimes, he would add to the greeting on the right:

... and His blessings (be on you). [2]

"When he said:

Peace and Allaah's Mercy be on you to his right, he would sometimes shorten the greeting on his left to:

Peace be on you. [3]

Sometimes, "he would salute once only, [

Peace be on you] [in front of his face, turning to his right side a bit,] [or a little]." [4]

"They used to gesture with their hands when saluting to the right and left; when the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله علیه وسلم) saw them, he said,

'What is the matter with you, gesturing with your hands as if they are the tails of wild horses?! When one of you salutes, he should look towards his companion and not indicate with his hand.' [/i][So when they prayed with him, they did not gesture.] (In one narration: It is enough for each of you to place his hand on his thigh, and then salute his brothers who are on his right and left). [5]

THE OBLIGATION OF THE TASLEEM

He (صلى الله علیه وسلم) used to say, ... it (the prayer) is exited by the tasleem. [6]

This is the last of what has been possible to compile regarding the description of the Prophet's prayer (صلى الله علیه وسلم) from the takbeer to the tasleem: I hope that Allaah will make it sincerely for His Face, Full of Honour, and a guide to the Sunnah of His kind and merciful Prophet.

"Glorified be Allaah, and Praised. Glorified be You, O Allaah, and Praised. I bear witness that there is no true god except You. I seek forgiveness from You and repent to You."

"O Allaah! send prayers on Muhammad, and on the family of Muhammad, and send blessings on Muhammad, and on the family of Muhammad, as You sent prayers on Ibraaheem and the family of Ibraaheem; You are indeed Worthy of Praise, Full of Glory."
[7]

Footnotes

[1] Abu Daawood, Nasaa'i & Tirmidhi, who declared it saheeh.

[2] Abu Daawood & Ibn Khuzaimah (1/87/2) with a saheeh sanad. `Abdul Haqq also declared it saheeh in his Ahkaam (56/2), as did Nawawi & Ibn Hajar. It was also transmitted via another route by `Abdur Razzaaq in his Musannaf (2/219), Abu Ya`laa in his Musnad (3/1253), Tabaraani in Mu`jam al-Kabeer (3/67/2) and Mu`jam al-Awsat (no. 4476 - my numbering) & Daaraqutni.

[3] Nasaa'i, Ahmad & Siraaj with a saheeh sanad.

[4] Ibn Khuzaimah, Baihaqi, Diyaa' in al-Mukhtaarah & `Abdul Ghani al-Maqdisi in his Sunan (243/1) with a saheeh isnaad; Ahmad, Tabaraani in Mu`jam al-Awsat (32/2), Baihaqi, Ibn al-Mulaqqin (29/1) and Haakim, who declared it saheeh and Dhahabi agreed. Its takhreej is given in Irwaa' al-Ghaleel under hadeeth no. 327.

[5] Muslim, Abu `Awaanah, Siraaj, Ibn Khuzaimah & Tabaraani.

Note: The Ibaadiyyah have distorted this hadeeth: their scholar Rabee` has related it in his unreliable Musnad with a different wording to justify their view that raising the hands with takbeer invalidates the Prayer! That wording is false, as I have explained in ad-Da`eefah (6044).

[6] Haakim & Dhahabi declared it saheeh; it has already been given in full under the opening "Takbeer."

[7] The first supplication is the fullest form of the du`aa' known as kaffaarah al-majlis (expiation of the gathering);

"He who says it in a gathering of Remembrance (of Allaah), it will be like a seal to stamp it with, and he who says it in a gathering of vain talk, it will be an expiation for it" - authentically related by Haakim and Tabaraan.

The second supplication is, of course, from the Sunnah of sending peace and mercy on the Messenger. These two supplications are thus the best way of implementing the following Islamic guideline:

"No people sit in a gathering in which they do not mention Allaah, nor send prayers on the Prophet, without it being a source of regret for them; if Allaah wishes, He will punish them, or if He wishes, he will forgive them." - authentically related by Tirmidhi, Haakim & Ahmad. See Shaykh Albaanee's Silsilah al-Ahaadeeth as-Saheehah (74-81) for details.

Return to “Worship”