The Book of Knowledge

Author: al-Imaam, al-Haafidh Abu Khaithama Zuhair Ibn Harb An-Nasaa’ee [Died 234H]

Source: Checking and Notes: Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaanee
Translator: Abu Maryam Isma’eel Alarcon

Published: Monday 27th July, 2015

The Text of the Book [continued]

Points 43 - 84:

1. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Al-Waleed Ibn Muslim reported to us, saying: Sa'eed Ibn 'Abd-il-'Azeez reported to us from Mak-hool that he said:

"The people set a date one night to meet in one of the dome-shaped structures of Mu'awiyah. So they gathered there and Abu Hurairah rose from amongst them and began narrating hadeeth of the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله علیه وسلم) to them until the morning came."

2. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Al-Waleed Ibn Muslim reported to us, saying: Al-Awzaa'ee reported to us from Mak-hool that he said:

"If there is no good in gathering and intermingling with the people, then withdrawing from them is safer."

3. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Al-Waleed Ibn Muslim reported to us, saying: Al-Awzaa'ee reported to us from Hassaan Ibn 'Atiyyah, saying: Abu Kabsha narrated to me that 'Abdullaah Ibn 'Amr narrated to me that he heard the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله علیه وسلم) say:

"Convey from me, even if it is one ayah. [1] And narrate from (the stories) of the tribe of Israaeel for there is no harm. And whosoever tells a lie upon me intentionally, then let him find his seat in the Hellfire."

4. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Al-A'amash from Abu Ad-Duhaa from Masrooq that he said:

"It is sufficient knowledge for a man that he fears Allaah. And it is sufficient ignorance for him that he be amazed by his own knowledge." [2]

5. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Yahyaa Ibn Yamaan reported to us, saying: Al-A'amash reported to us from Ibraaheem that he said:

"'Abdullaah (Ibn Mas'ood) was bright and intelligent."

6. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Ja'far Ibn 'Awn reported to us, saying: Al-A'amash reported from Muslim Ibn Sabeeh from Masrooq that he said: 'Abdullaah [3] (رضي الله عنه‎) said:

"If Ibn 'Abbaas were to reach our years in age, no one from among us would be able to accompany him." And he (also) used to say: "The best interpreter of the Qur'aan is Ibn 'Abbaas (رضي الله عنه‎)."

7. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Muhammad Ibn 'Ubaid reported to us from Al-A'amash from Muslim from Masrooq that he said: 'Abdullaah [Ibn Mas'ood] (رضي الله عنه‎) said:

"Indeed, it is from knowledge for one who does not know, to say: 'Allaah knows best.'"

8. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Wakee' reported to us from Al-A'amash from Abu Ad-Duhaa from Masrooq that he said:

"We never asked the Companions of Muhammad (صلى الله علیه وسلم) on any matter, except that knowledge of it was found in the Qur'aan, however our knowledge of it was less than theirs."

9. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Al-A'amash from Saalim Ibn Abee Al-Ja'ad that he said: Abu Ad-Dardaa [4] (رضي الله عنه‎) said:

"The one who teaches good and the one who learns it are equal with regard to the reward (they receive). And there is not anyone from the rest of mankind that is better, after that."

10. Abu Khaithama narrated to us from Al-A'amash from Saalim Ibn Abee Al-Ja'ad from Ibn Lubaid that he said:

"The Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله علیه وسلم) mentioned something once and then said: 'And that will occur at the time when knowledge will disappear.' They (the Sahaabah) said: 'O Messenger of Allaah! And how is it that knowledge will disappear when we recite the Qur'aan and we read it to our children and our children read it to their children?' So the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said: 'May you mother be ransomed for you, O Ibn Umm Lubaid! Do not the Jews and the Christians recite the Torah and the Injeel, yet derive no benefit from them whatsoever?'" [5]

11. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Qaaboos on the authority of his father, that he said: Ibn 'Abbaas (رضي الله عنه‎) said:

“Do you know how the knowledge will depart from the earth?” We said: “No.” He (رضي الله عنه‎) said: “The scholars will depart (i.e. they will die).”

12. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Al-‘Alaa from Hamaad on the authority of Ibraaheem (An-Nakha’ee) that he said: 'Abdullaah [Ibn Mas'ood] (رضي الله عنه‎) said:

"Follow (the Sunnah) and do not innovate (into it), for you have been sufficed. And every innovation is a misguidance." [6]

13. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Qaaboos that he said:

"I said to my father: 'How is it that you can go to (ask) 'Alqamah and disregard (asking) the Companions of Muhammad (صلى الله علیه وسلم)?' He said: 'O my son! (Even) the Companions of Muhammad would ask him!'"

14. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from 'Imaarah Ibn Al-Qa'aqaa' that he said:

"Ibraaheem said to me: 'Narrate to me hadeeth from Abu Zur'ah, [7] for indeed I asked him (once) concerning a hadeeth. Then I asked him about the same hadeeth two years later and there was no one more precise in his wording than he was."

15. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Al-A'amash from Abu Sufyaan from 'Ubaid Ibn 'Umair (رضي الله عنه‎) that he said:

"Whosoever Allaah intends to do good for, He gives him understanding of the Religion. And He grants him guidance in it." [8]

16. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Al-A'amash from ‘Amr Ibn Murrah from Abu Al-Bakhtiree that he said: A shaikh from the town of ‘Abas narrated to me, saying:

“I (once) accompanied Salmaan (on a journey) because I wanted to examine him, learn from him and serve him. So I began to not do any action except that it was the same as his. Then we stopped at Dijlah (Tigris River) and it extended wide and was overflowing with water, so we said: ‘Let us give drink to our riding animals.’ We gave them to drink and then I had a desire to drink myself, so I drank (from the river). When I lifted my head, he (Salmaan) said: ‘O brother of the tribe of ‘Abas! Go back and drink again.’ So I sat down and drank again even though I did not want to do so, yet I hated to disobey him. Then he said to me: ‘How much do you estimate to have deducted from it (the river)?’ So I said: ‘May Allaah have mercy on you! Is it possible that my drinking can deduct anything from it? He (رضي الله عنه‎) then said: “Likewise with knowledge. You take it, yet you do not deduct anything from it. So stick to those aspects of knowledge that benefits you (most).’”

17. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Mu'awiyah Ibn 'Amr reported to us, saying: Zaa'idah reported to us from Al-A'amash from Muslim on the authority of Masrooq that he said:

"I accompanied the Companions of Allaah’s Messenger and they were like the pool of water, which quenches the thirst of the traveler, and like the pool of water that quenches the thirst of two travelers, and the pool of water that quenches the thirst of ten people and the pool of water which if all the inhabitants of the world were to settle by it (to drink from it) it would produce enough (water) for all of them. And verily 'Abdullaah [Ibn Mas’ood] (رضي الله عنه‎) was from among this pool of water." [9]

18. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Al-A'amash from Abu Waa’il that he said: 'Abdullaah [Ibn Mas’ood] (رضي الله عنه‎) said:

"If the knowledge of 'Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab (رضي الله عنه‎) were to be placed on one scale of a balance and the knowledge of all the inhabitants of the world (at that time) were to be placed on the other scale, the knowledge of 'Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab (رضي الله عنه‎) would surely outweigh it." [10]

19. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Al-A'amash from Ibraaheem (An-Nakha’ee) that he said: 'Abdullaah [Ibn Mas’ood] (رضي الله عنه‎) said:

"Indeed, I truly believe that 'Umar (رضي الله عنه‎) took nine-tenths (i.e. ninety percent) of the knowledge with him (when he died)."

20. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Al-A'amash from Mujaahid that he said concerning Allaah's statement: "Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger and those who possess authority amongst you" [Surah An-Nisaa: 59]:

“Meaning: Those who possess understanding and knowledge.”

21. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Al-A'amash that he said:

"I would hear hadeeth and mention them to Ibraaheem [An-Nakha’ee], so he would either narrate them to me (in their complete forms) or he would narrate additions to them."

22. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Al-A'amash from Mas'ood Ibn Maalik that he said:

“'Alee Ibn Al-Husayn said to me: ‘Is it possible that you can join me with Sa'eed Ibn Jubair?’ I said: ‘What is your need for him?’ He said: ‘I need to ask him about several matters. Indeed, the people praise us for what is not found within us.’" [11]

23. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Laith [12] from Mujaahid that he said:

"'Umar forbade us from deducing by analogy."

24. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Al-A'amash from Al-Hasan [13] that he said:

"Indeed we used to have books which we would maintain in our memory."

25. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Mansoor from Abu Ad-Duhaa on the authority of Masrooq that he said:

"We were once sitting with 'Abdullaah [Ibn Mas'ood] while he was reclining on a couch, when a man came to him saying: 'O Abu 'Abd-ur-Rahmaan! Verily, there is a reporter calling at the gates of Kindah who believes that the sign of the Smoke will come and grasp the breaths of the disbelievers (i.e. kill them), while it will give the believers something like a cold.' So 'Abdullaah (رضي الله عنه‎) said while sitting up and in a state of anger: 'O people, fear Allaah! Whoever amongst you knows something then let him speak concerning what he has knowledge of. And whoever does not know then let him say, Allaah knows best. For indeed it is the best form of knowledge for one of you to say, concerning things he has no knowledge of: Allaah knows best. Verily Allaah has said to His Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم): 'Say: I do not ask you for any reward for this (Qur'aan), nor am I from the pretenders.' [Surat-un-Nisaa: 86]"

26. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Ishaaq Ibn Sulaimaan Ar-Raazee reported to us, saying: I heard Abu Ja'far mention from Rabee' Ibn Anas that he said:

"It is written in the First Scripture: ‘The son of Aadam should teach free of charge, just as you were taught free of charge.’"

27. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Isma’eel Ibn Ibraaheem reported to us from Laith from Mujaahid that he said:

"The scholars have gone and there did not remain anyone except the speakers. And the mujtahid [14] amongst you (now) is like nothing but a clown amongst those who came before you."

28. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Al-Waleed Ibn Muslim reported to us, saying: I heard Al-Awzaa'ee say: I heard Bilaal Ibn Sa'ad say:

“Your scholar is ignorant. Your zaahid (one who abstains from the worldly life) is greedy. And your worshipper is one who falls short (of doing deeds).”

29. ‘Abdullaah narrated to us, saying: Abu Khaithama reported to us, saying: ‘Abd-ul-Hameed Ibn ‘Abd-ir-Rahmaan Abu Yahyaa reported to us, saying: Al-A'amash reported to us from Ibraaheem from 'Alqamah that he said:

"Remind one another of the hadeeth, for indeed its existence depends on its being mentioned (i.e. reported)."

30. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Muhammad Ibn Fudayl reported to us, saying: Yazeed Ibn Abee Ziyaad reported to us from 'Abd-ur-Rahmaan Ibn Abee Laylaa that he said:

"Bringing life to the hadeeth lies in narrating and quoting them. So remind one another about them." Upon this, 'Abdullaah Ibn Shaddaad said: "May Allaah have mercy on you! How many hadeeth that I had loved (and were memorized) in my heart, have been caused to die (due to their not being repeated)?"

31. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Muhammad Ibn Fudayl reported to us from Al-A'amash from Isma'eel Ibn Rajaa that he said:

"We used to gather the children together (in one place) and narrate hadeeth to them."

32. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Muhammad Ibn Fudayl reported to us from 'Ataa from Abu Al-Bakhtiree that Hudhaifah [Ibn Al-Yamaan] (رضي الله عنه‎) that he said:

"My companions used to learn good, while I used to learn evil." It was said to him: "What made you do such a thing?" He said: "Indeed, the one who learns the place of evil, avoids it."

33. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan Ibn Mahdee reported to us, saying: Moosaa Ibn ‘Ullay reported to us from his father that he said:

"Whenever a man would ask Zayd Ibn Thaabit (radi-Allaahu ‘anhu) concerning a matter, he would say: ‘Is this for the sake of Allaah?’ So if the person would say: ‘Yes’, then he would speak about it. And if not, then he would not speak." [15]

34. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan Ibn Mahdee reported to us from Sufyaan from ‘Abd-ul-Malik Ibn Abjar from Ash-Sha’bee from Masrooq that he said:

“I asked ‘Ubai Bin Ka’ab (رضي الله عنه‎) once regarding an issue. So he said: ‘Did this ever occur before in the past?’ I said: ‘No.’ So he said: ‘Then we shall wait until it does occur. And when it does occur, we will exert ourselves (i.e. make Ijtihaad) to give you our view (on the issue).’” [16]

35. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan reported to us, saying: Maalik reported to us from Az-Zuhree from Sahl Ibn Sa'ad that he said:

"The Messenger of Allaah used to dislike being questioned on (fiqh) issues and he would denounce them." [17]

36. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: 'Abd-ur-Rahmaan reported to us, saying: Sufyaan reported to us from Zubaid that he said:

"I never asked Ibraaheem (An-Nakha'ee) about anything, except that I saw signs of dislike in him."

37. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Hushaim reported to us, saying: Hajaaj reported to us from 'Ataa and Ibn Abee Laylaa from 'Ataa that he said:

"We used to accompany Jaabir Ibn 'Abdillaah (رضي الله عنه‎) and he would narrate ahaadeeth to us. When we would depart from his company, we would remind ourselves of his hadeeth, and Abu Az-Zubair was the best at memorizing hadeeth from among us."

38. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Qaaboos Ibn Abee Dhibyaan that he said:

"We prayed behind Abu Dhibyaan one day during the morning Fajr prayer. We were all young except for the mu'adhdhin who was an older man. So after making the tasleem, he drew near us and began asking the youth: 'Who are you?' 'Who are you?' When he finished asking them, he said: 'Indeed, there was no prophet sent except that he was a young man. And the knowledge was not given to anyone better than a young man.'"

39. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Sufyaan Ibn 'Uyainah reported to us from Zayd Ibn Aslam from 'Ataa Ibn Yasaar that he said:

"No thing is placed into another thing more beautiful than when gentleness is placed into knowledge."

40. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Suhayl from his father on the authority of Abu Hurairah (رضي الله عنه‎) that he used to say:

"Draw closer O Tribe of Farrookh! [18] For verily, if the knowledge were clinging from the sky, there would be someone amongst you who would surely grasp it."

41. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Suhail that he said:

"When Abu Hurairah would look at Abu Saalih [19], he would say: 'It is not likely that this man is from the tribe of 'Abd Manaaf.'"

42. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Yahyaa Ibn Yamaan reported to us from Al-A'amash from Abu Saalih that he said:

"I did not used to wish for anything from this worldly life other than two white garments, with which I would sit in the company of Abu Hurairah."

Footnotes

[1] Meaning: One sentence, regardless of whether it comes from the Book or the Sunnah. The following is stated in An-Nihaayah:

“What is meant by the word ayah in the Qur'aan is a collection of letters and words. This is derived from the people’s saying: ‘The people left with their ayaat’, meaning they went out with all their possessions not leaving anything behind. The word ayah in any other context means a sign.”

Some said in explaining this hadeeth: "It means a sign, either a gesture or a conveyance." This means that if the thing that is being conveyed occurs in the form of an action or a gesture, with the hand or the finger, then indeed it is to convey it in the same way in order to preserve the Sharee'ah. The hadeeth has a saheeh chain of narration. Al-Bukhaaree reported it through another path on the authority of Al-Awzaa'ee.

[2] Its chain of narration is saheeh from Masrooq. And he is Ibn Al-Ajda', a Taabi'ee (Second generation of Muslims), a Faqeeh (scholar capable of issuing rulings), an 'Aabid (devout worshipper). He died in the year 62H. And he has been mentioned previously in another chain that connects to him under number 15.

[3] He is Ibn Mas'ood (رضي الله عنه‎). And the chain of narration to him is saheeh upon the standards of the two Shaikhs (Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim). Al-Haakim transmitted it (3/537) from another path on Al-A'amash without the saying: "The best interpreter..." and he (rahimahullaah authenticated it based on both of their standards. Adh-Dhahabee agreed with him.

[4] Its chain of narration is munqata' (broken) because Saalim Ibn Abee Al-Ja'ad never met Abu Ad-Dardaa (رضي الله عنه‎). It has also been reported on his authority through another path of narrators in marfoo' form. However, its chain is da'eef (weak), also.

[5] It is a saheeh hadeeth. Its narrators are all reliable for they are narrators of the standards of the two Shaikhs (Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim). Ahmad and Ibn Maajah have reported this from Wakee' connected to him (Ibn Umm Lubaid), while Al-Haakim and Ahmad have reported it from the path of narration of 'Amr Ibn Murrah: "I heard Saalim Ibn Abee Al-Ja'ad say" on his (Ibn Umm Lubaid) authority. Al-Haakim authenticated it and mentioned that there were two other paths of narration to them, the first of which is on the authority of 'Awf Ibn Maalik (رضي الله عنه‎) and has been reported by Al-Khateeb Al-Baghdaadee in his book Al-Iqtidaa (no. 90). The other has been reported on the authority of Abu Ad-Dardaa (رضي الله عنه‎). Adh-Dhahabee declared the chains of both of these to be saheeh.

[6] The chain of this narration is saheeh. Ibraaheem here refers to Ibn Yazeed An-Nakha'ee. Although he never met 'Abdullaah, who is Ibn Mas'ood (رضي الله عنه‎), it is still authentically reported on him that he said:

"If I narrate a hadeeth to you on the authority of a man on the authority of 'Abdullaah, then that means that I heard it (from that person). And if I say, 'Abdullaah said...' (without mentioning the narrator), then it is from someone reporting on the authority of 'Abdullaah."

[7] He is Abu Zur'ah Ibn 'Amr Ibn Jareer Ibn 'Abdillaah Al-Bajlee Al-Koofee. There is a difference of opinion concerning his name. He was a Taabi'ee (Second generation of Muslims), reliable and the compilers of the six collections rely on his narrations.

[8] Its chain of narration in mawqoof form (stopped at level of being the saying of a companion and not of the Prophet) upon 'Ubaid Ibn 'Umair is saheeh. Al-Bazaar and At-Tabaraanee have also reported it from the hadeeth of Ibn Mas'ood in marfoo' form (raised to a saying of the Prophet), with a chain of narration in which there is no defect, according to Al-Mundhiree.

I say: Later, it became apparent to me that there is, in fact, a defect in it. Adh-Dhahabee has testified to it, as I have explained in Al-Ahaadeeth Ad-Da'eefah (no. 5032).

[9] The chain of narration is authentic. 'Abdullaah here refers to Ibn Mas'ood (رضي الله عنه‎).

[10] Its chain of narration is saheeh (authentic), as well as the one that comes after it.

[11] Its chain is saheeh and Mas'ood Ibn Maalik is Abu Razeen Al-Asadee, a Taabi'ee who was reliable and trustworthy.

[12] He is Ibn Abee Saleem and he is da'eef (weak) as has been stated previously.

[13] He is Al-Hasan Al-Basree, the righteous Taabi'ee.

[14] Translator’s Note: A Mujtahid is a scholar that has reached high levels of knowledge such that he is able to form opinions and issue fataawaa (rulings), without basing it on the scholars before him. They can determine rulings for issues that have no clear mention in the Qur’aan and the Sunnah, and Allaah knows best.

[15] Its chain of narration is saheeh according to the standards of Muslim.

[16] Its chain is saheeh, just like the one before it.

[17] Its chain of narration is saheeh according to the standards of the two Shaikhs (Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim). They have both transmitted it on the authority of (Imaam) Maalik and it is found in Al-Muwatta (2/56/34) within a hadeeth.

[18] This refers to the non-Arabs. The chain of narration is according to the standards of Muslim. However, it is in mawqoof form. It has been reported in marfoo’ form from three different paths on the authority of Abu Hurairah (رضي الله عنه‎) without mentioning the Tribe of Farrookh and with the wording: “...a group of people from Persia would surely grasp it.” These reports have been transmitted by Abu Nu’aim in Akhbaar Asbahaan (1/5) but they all have defects in them. One of them is found in (the Saheeh of) Ibn Hibbaan (no. 2309). And what is authentic is what occurs with the wording: “If Eemaan (Faith) were clinging from the sky, there would be some people from Persia who would surely grasp it.” Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim have reported this.

[19] His name is Dhakwaan As-Samaan Az-Ziyaat Al-Madanee. He was the guardian of Juwairiyah Bint Al-Ahmas Al-Ghatfaanee. And he was the father of Suhayl, the one mentioned in the previous chain of narrators. Abu Saalih died in the year 101H.

Return to “Narrations”