Alleviating Grievances in Describing the Condition of the Strangers

Author: Al-Haafidh Ibn Rajab al-Hanbalee

Source: Al-Manhaj
Translator: Abu Maryam Isma’eel Alarcon

Published: Wednesday 5th August, 2015

Clinging Onto The Sunnah During Times Of Affliction

At-Tabaraanee reported from the hadeeth of Abu Hurairah, (رضي الله عنه‎), that the Prophet, (صلى الله علیه وسلم), said:

“The one who clings onto my Sunnah at the time of the corruption of my ummah will receive the reward of a martyr.” [1]

And Abu Ash-Shaykh Al-Asbahaanee reported with a chain connected to Al-Hasan (Al-Basree), that he (رحمه الله) said:

“If a man from the first generation of Muslims were sent (to us) today, he would not recognize anything from Islaam except for this prayer!”

Then he (رحمه الله) said:

“I swear by Allaah, that if he were to live to the time of these evils, he would see the innovator calling to his innovation, or the individual involved with the worldly life calling to his worldly affairs. Then Allaah would protect him and his heart would long for that which the Salaf As-Saalih (pious predecessors) were upon. And so he would follow their footsteps and act according to their ways. For him there will be a great reward.”

Ibn Al-Mubaarak reported from Al-Fudayl from Al-Hasan that he once mentioned the rich and extravagant man who has authority and who amasses wealth claiming that he has no end in it. And then he mentioned the misguided innovator who sets out against the Muslims with an unsheathed sword, changing the meaning of what Allaah has revealed concerning the disbelievers in favor of the Muslims.

Then he said:

“Your Sunnah, and I swear by the One besides whom there is nothing worthy of worship except Him, is between these two: between the self-sufficient one and the hard-hearted, the extravagant one and the ignorant. So have patience upon it, for indeed, Ahl-us-Sunnah are from amongst the fewest of people, those who do not fall into the category of the extravagant ones in their excessiveness nor do they fall with the innovators in the following of their desires. Rather, they bear with patience upon their Sunnah until they meet their Lord. So be that way, if Allaah wills!” [2]

Then he (رحمه الله) said:

“I swear by Allaah, that if a man were to reach these evils, he would hear someone say: ‘Come over to me!’, and someone else say: ‘Come over to me!’ So he would say: ‘No! I do not want anything but the Sunnah of Muhammad’, seeking after it and asking questions on it. Indeedthis one will be given a great reward. So be that way, if Allaah wills!”

Footnotes

[1] This is a weak hadeeth reported by Abu Nu’aim who attributes it to At-Tabaraanee. Al-Haythamee (1/172) said:

“In the chain is Muhammad Ibn Saalih Al-‘Adawee. I did not find anyone that wrote a biography for him. The rest of the narrators are reliable.”

Abu Nu’aim indicated its weakness by labeling it strange from ‘Abd-ul-‘Azeez from ‘Ataa. Thus the hadeeth is da’eef due to the condition of Muhammad Ibn Saalih. See Silsilat-ul-Ahaadeeth Ad-Da’eefah (no. 327) of Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaanee.

[2] The chain quoted for this report by Ibn Rajab is not authentic. However, a similar narration to this can be found in Sunan Ad-Daarimee (1/71-72). Dr. Nasr Al-'Aql mentioned it in Mafhoom Ahl-is-Sunnah (pg. 84-85)

Return to “The Call”